Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's Official

If your child is in Jill Schlessinger's sophomore Honors English at Highland High, I will be his or her new substitute teacher.  The kids adore her, and I'll have big shoes to fill while she's away.  That's why I'm balancing The Complete Works of William Shakespeare on my head.  I'm hoping it will all come back to me through osmosis.  Do you remember your high school teachers saying that to you?

We'll be covering Julius Ceasar, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and The Crucible, and I can't wait to dig in.  But mostly I cant wait to be around all those high schoolers.  I love watching them interact, and I actually keep a log of things they say to one another.  Just the other day this Justin Bieber look-a-like kid said to me,

"Hey, Mrs. S! Do you hear wedding bells?"
"No, Jarrod."  
"That's funny cuz me and this girl are getting married right now."
"You mean, 'This girl and I are getting married right now.'"
"Yeah, that."

I'd better write that one down.

3 comments:

  1. I think English teachers of the world are losing this battle, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying.

    Love the red lipstick and glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Dang, too bad Max doesn't have that english class!

    ReplyDelete