Monday, February 23, 2009

The Sabbath Rules!

At our house, we have a few keepin' the Sabbath day holy while attending sacrament meeting rules:

1.  No bathroom passes.  You better go before or bring yourself a change of clothes, just in case, 'cuz you ain't going.
2.  No drink breaks.  And I don't care that you're getting a sore throat, or having a little cough, or forgot to get a drink before bed last night!  
3.  Tic-Tac-Toe on the itouch against the reigning champion, Mi Amor, is allowed after the first talk is given.
4.  If you're not reverent during the meeting, you will practice reverence for 15 min. on a real church pew when you get home.
5.  No falling asleep during the meeting unless you're under 8 years old, serving in the Bishopbric, or on the High Council.

Unfortunately, Sam broke rule #5. I felt bad for him because his previous night's sleep was filled with nightmares and sleeping on a little cot next to my bed.  He was tired, bless his heart, but the RULES is the RULES!  I gently nudged him, waking him from his blissful slumber.  "Wake-up!  And listen to the speaker.  There's going to be a quiz when we get home. And you better be able to quote Isaiah 29:4....in Spanish."  He sat up as straight as he could and reverently folded his arms but quickly fell back to sleep.  I whispered in his ear, "Now you're going to have to take a 10 hour nap when we get home, and no watching T.V. when the Sabbath ends at sundown (a little aside: We have a PERSONAL family rule that limited(no Sponge Bob) television can be watched at sundown. It's around that time when our kids start beatin' each other and whatnot due to Sabbath cabin fever).  Anyhoo, he sat up and looked at me square in the eyes and said, "Can't you see that I'm just getting ready for the next prayer?"  To my surprise, it was actually time for the next prayer.  Doggonit! He was totally off the hook.  "I'll get you next time, my pretty," I thought to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment