Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mother's Day Getup Continued

 Eric, the one with the short hair, was my 11th grade nemesis. 

I covered my face and listened as the principal's voice fought through the speaker static, "This year's senior student body officers are as follows: Treasurer, Rita Hanks; Secretary, Megan Biggs; Vice President; Laurie Valroy..."

The new USB officers were all girls.  What was Eric going to do with a room full of intelligent, smart, and talented girls?  I belong in there. Pick me.  Pick me, everyone.  I hope you picked me--my last internal plea before the verdict was announced.

The principal paused, clearing his throat, "Ramona High's new student body president is...Katy Ballantyne!"

My class turned to look at me.  One boy started clapping and the rest of the room joined in.  I had won.  I, Katy, had defeated The Eric Ferguson!  But had it not been for mi Madre, I would have bowed out the day I came home crying.  Word to mi Madre!

P.S.  My homgurl said, referring to Eric's picture and all the trauma he caused, "Him, Mom?  He looks like he's missing a tooth."

"He's not missing a tooth," I said.  "It's just the way the picture looks.  But the guy next to Eric is my friend Matt.  He voted for me."

"That was high school, Mom.  Why are you talking about it now?"

"Good question."

4 comments:

  1. You were president of your high school? I am awed. Completely awed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did Eric Ferguson attend your school and mine? He was a grade ahead of me and graduated from PHS? He has all the girls hearts a flutter... Turns out he is happily married to a man now... Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he left Ramona after 11th grade. Jess, that is so funny! I heard that he was happily married. Although he did have a girlfriend in high school, all those girls never stood a chance in the long run. Love you!

    ReplyDelete